Tuesday, April 20, 2010

There's Something to be Said for Tennis Shoes

In the past 2 days I've had a least 3 conversations with different faculty members and friends about tennis shoes and the reason we should wear them. I heard a pleasant story from Acting Professor L about a girl at our summer theatre one year who was wearing flip flops while coming off the stage, stepped incorrectly on the stairs, and broke both her ankles at once.

I also spoke with my friend Katie Mac about wearing tennis shoes, because her foot (which was hurt last summer, so she had to wear a boot for a few weeks) has been hurting. Of course, today was the day that we were performing in Acting class. So we're all expected to dress up and look the part. Tennis shoes don't go with dresses. So Katie Mac wore flats...and stepped wrong on the stairs...smacked her bad foot...and promptly went to the hospital because it rapidly swelled. Luckily, it's looking like it's not broken. However, she will be wearing a boot and trying to keep the pressure off it. She has crutches for now. Of course, she would be the busiest girl every: stage managing the main stage musical right now, and also the main actress in my directing scene. Hopefully her foot gets better within the next couple of weeks, because she's doing pre-season for the summer theatre!

I'm going to have to see how she fairs this week in rehearsal, and if it's no good then I'll be rescheduling my directing scene. They're in a really good place right now, so I'm completely comfortable doing so. I just hope she starts to feel better!

So, aside from Katie Mac and her scene partner who did not perform today, we all performed in Acting IV. We did a small rehearsal with notes from Acting Professor R. I was told to up the panic, and take out the 'logic'. When Erin and I performed, we did everything he asked. He gave us great notes at the end and was pleased. It was a fun scene to do. It was from Lady Windemere's Fan, and I was accusing my mother (who I think is my husband's new girl on the side) of stealing my husband from me and causing a scandal.

We also recieved our new scenes today. I'll be workig with Chrisena, who I worked with in Katie Mac's directing scene, on A Taste of Honey. I haven't had a chance to read the play yet, but I'm supposed to have it read by next Tuesday. I'm excited; it looks like it will be a very interesting scene.

The tentative season for next year went up today as well! Here it is, in order of appearance but subject to change:

Our Leading Lady by Charles Busch
Dividing the Estate by Horton Foote (This takes place in Texas!)
Meet Me in St. Louis
The Madwoman of Chaillot by Jean Giraudoux
The Clean House by Sarah Ruhl
Thouroughly Modern Millie

There's some great comedies in here, and some awesome dramas. I admit, I hadn't heard of many of these, and I had to look them up. But it looks like a really interesting season and I'm pretty excited about it!

I had my first rehearsal for Chrisena's directing scene Sealed for Freshness today. It was a read through and it looks like it's going to be really funny. We'll be performing that May 1st!

I spent the rest of my day writing and researching for my Global Village paper. I'm more than half way done, and I went ahead and wrote my conclusion since I'll be meeting with my TA tomorrow to go over it. It's looking pretty strong, but I'm sure there will be lots to fix before Monday when I turn it in. After I'm done with this paper I only have one more for my math class and then I'll be done with my major assignments for the semester! I can't wait! I'm so ready for it to be summer already.

No comments:

Post a Comment