Friday, April 30, 2010

Magic Bedrooms, Veet, and Beehives

Just a couple random things from the week so far. Magic bedrooms pertains to a comment made by one of the little boys at my children's school who told me you can make your bedroom magical by putting all your magic in an air tank and squeezing it out. The Veet is just a recent point of interest for my friends. And the Beehive is a reference to the directing scene I'm performing in that takes place in the 60s, so our hairstyles are crazy!

I've been having some intense rehearsals this week, not only for the scene I'm directing myself, but the one I'm acting in. Both are going extremely well and I'm becoming excited for Saturday. Of course, I'm nervous about the outcome of my scene in Professor R's eyes, but I, personally, like what I've accomplished and what my actors have accomplished. I just need to finish up my director's journal, and I'll be good to go. I just got back from a rescheduled late night rehearsal and it was my first with full dress, lights, pictures, and sound! It went off really well, and I like the composition.

The directing presentations for the upcoming Warehouse season were on Wednesday. Kaitie presented for Collected Stories, so we're waiting to see the outcome. I just realized, that I never wrote down the official Warehouse season after it was picked. Here it is:

5 Women Wearing the Same Dress
Collected Stories (a 2 woman play!)
The Young and the Fair (a 15 woman play!)
Eleemosynary

This is a really fun season, and we're excited about it! The directors won't be picked for a while, and all the girls that presented are very deserving candidates. Anyone that doesn't get a Warehouse spot still has the option to take the Directing 3 class and direct an Off-The-Wall production, meaning on their own time, in their own space. I might do it, if I feel a desire to direct second semester. Personally, I'm just more of an actor, but I do like the difference in artistic creativity between acting and directing.

Acting IV today was awesome! Chrisena and I got our blocking from Acting Professor R, and it was so much fun. Our scene is from A Taste of Honey which was written by a 17 year old girl. It's a British comedy/drama about the relationship between a mother and daughter who are really more like sisters. The dialect is much lower class and the pace is faster and funnier than anything else I've done in class so I'm having a blast. Everything rolls right off the tongue, and the characters are endearing. I'm really excited for the dress rehearsal during Tuesday's class but Chrisena and I have a lot to memorize and rehearse before we're ready.

I officially finished my Personal Family Finance research paper earlier tonight. We're taking a quiz tomorrow on Christopher Durang's Beyond Therapy, which I'm enjoying reading. It's hilarious, but so is everything Durang writes.

We had a really awesome discussion in our Global Village class the other day. Our college president came to talk to us. She has a degree on the subject of Digital Natives, which are the children who grew up using technology. Which is...the generation after mine. Technically I count myself as a digital native because my mom always had technology around, being a computer teacher. But, I didn't grow up with cell phones. Anyway, the point is, it was a really interesting discussion about how fast the world is changing and the statistics for how fast technology is evolving is astounding. We watched an interesting video showing some of these statistics if you'd like to watch it, it's fascinating and short:



It's unbelievable.

I can't even believe that this school year is almost finished. I have two more week of school then one week of finals. I'll have 3 weeks of free time and then I'll be at Boji, performing summer stock! Everything is going by so fast! But it's still fun and crazy and new everyday, so what more could I want?

No comments:

Post a Comment