Monday, April 12, 2010

An Excess of Condiments

So this week is a week where there's a lot of important things happening. Some little and some not so little.

The new Warehouse Board and the current Warehouse Board got together last night and officially picked the season for next year. Our Chair Woman took it to the Dean to have it approved. All of our selections were officially approved, but they asked us to reconsider one of the plays because of some issues they think might arise with it. So that means, until the decisions are final (we had a re vote and I don't know the outcome) I can't actually say anything in my blog. However, I'm incredibly excited about our season, and the replacement play--if it goes through-- is just as cool as the one we chose. So either way, it's going to be a fun season and I'm proud to be a part of it!

I also got to hang out with the current Public Relations person last night and that was super cool! She showed me how she goes about the making of programs for the shows. I didn't realize it, but it will actually be my job (unless I choose to elect someone else to do it) to make the posters for the shows as well! Very cool...and difficult, so we'll see what happens there. We talked a lot about obtaining sponsorships and what all her job entails and I'm even more excited to get my turn next year! It's going to be a lot of fun and a really great experience to be able to use in the future. I can't wait!

We had to read Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf this weekend for a quiz and discussion in Theatre History. It's a very interesting production, and I would understand it a lot better (it's an absurdist piece) if I actually saw it. Apparently, the acting in the movie is amazing, so I might check that out sometime when I have free time. I just finished reading Oleanna for Friday's class, and I can honestly say it made me sick. It's a play about a professor and a student and she accuses him of sexual harassment. It's sickening because you can't tell who is right and who is wrong and you want to hate both characters for hurting the other so much...except they both present great arguments. It reminds me of how relationships go bad because of miscommunication. You can both be right and both be wrong and the anger because of it, and the unwillingness to forgive or compromise ruins it all. So..it was brilliant writing but it wasn't pleasant at all.

I had my first rehearsal for my directing scene Ashes to Ashes today. Both of my actors have really great ideas about their characters, and it's going to be a really fun collaboration. The play is going to end up being a crazy/creepy/absurd piece and I'm excited about doing something so new and outrageous. It looks like it's going to be a great learning process!

Tomorrow is advising day so I'll be picking my official schedule of classes for my final year of college! AH! That's so crazy to even say. I'm not entirely happy with the way it turned out, but I'll deal with it. I might be able to work some things out tomorrow, but I'll definitely post my finalized schedule here.

For some non-theatre related subjects (crazy I know): I'll hopefully be finishing a rough draft of both my Global Village research paper and my Personal Family Finance research paper so I can get them both critiqued in time to make a good final draft. We actually started a new section in Global Village pertaining to economic globalization and it seems like it's going to be very interesting. Aside from this research paper, I have definitely enjoyed this class this semester.

The Warehouse (back to theatre, I can't help myself) is actually co-hosting an event that is supporting the Trama Textiles group that I talked about previously. There's going to be a dance and I think the proceeds are going to help the Guatemalan women. So that's really awesome as well.

And of course, the summer season should be decided by Wednesday. I almost don't want to know. But I think I've finally come out of the theatre student mindset of 'what I'm cast as is a reflection of my talent and future ability to be gainfully employed' and moved onto the more mature, and healthy, mindset of 'my abilities as an actress are not decided by the casting of a college show, and I will continue to grow beyond this campus and can only be helped by the opportunities I am given here'. I know, it's sickeningly good of me, but what can I say--my glass is half full.

No comments:

Post a Comment