Sunday, April 11, 2010

Boji Audition Day Complete

I went back and put pictures up in the posts about Chicago and my Birthday, if you're interested in going back and looking at them!

I had a blast yesterday auditioning for 13 shows!

Technically, there's 9 mainstage shows, and then 4 children's shows that they don't let you read from. They just cast the children's shows based on the other auditions.

So the day started out with headshots and then moved onto warm-up with Acting Professor L. We did some Alexander Technique (body alignment technique that straightens your spine and allows your head to float freely off the top of your neck without tension) and some tremors (where you hold any part of you body in the same position until it starts to tremor--thereby opening up your diaphramatic (or deep) breathing, which builds an open channel for better sound to come out). I learned both of these my first year here, and it's a standard warm-up before every audition, but we're expected to do them on our own. This time we did them as a group. We also warmed up our voices with Voice Professor C, who would be our accompanist for our musical auditions.

We moved straight into the musical auditions after that. I was nervous about them, but I walked in, remembered the names of both songs like a good girl, and then I performed them. It went well! I was proud that I went in there and did what I meant to do without forgetting any lyrics! I did not make callbacks, but they were only calling back for some of the major characters, and I did not expect to be one of those. Gillian did make a callback and she said it went great! I'm proud of her too!

We came back from lunch and started our cold readings. I was sent to Acting Professor D's readings first. He was holding the farce cold readings and I picked the character I liked the most and grabbed my scene partner and we did our rendition. He gave some critiques and then we performed it again. After that I moved right onto Acting Professor B's cold readings. I read for Beatrice, Rhoda, and Madrigal. I had a fun time doing each of the different characters.

The awesome thing was: everyone stepped up their game for these auditions. My whole second year class did an amazing job! We were all reading the same sides and everyone understood the characters and gave great auditions. It's certainly going to be a hard season to cast. I felt comfortable with the performances I gave, but so many other people did such a great job that it's impossible to walk away saying,"yeah I really nailed that one, it'll be me."

After those three auditions, it was time for my Rabbit Hole audition. I was the last group to go in, so we didn't get to work on as much as the other groups. I read for Becca and it was ok. I didn't walk out feeling I had done amazing, but I did walk out thinking it had been a great day.

I really expected the auditions to be more in depth. I realize now, I shouldn't have expected that because there were so many people, and such a limited amount of time to see us all. It makes perfect sense that they would try and see us all multiple times instead of focusing on certain characters and certain shows. There were a couple characters I was really hoping to read for that I didn't get the chance to read for, and I was slightly dissapointed, but today it makes more sense. The outcome is really going to depend on who they want in the musicals because they cast those first.

I'll find out the results on Wednesday. All in all, it was a crazy, but awesome day and I had a blast!

Afterwards, my friends and I went out for sushi to celebrate! We tried the new place downtown called Geisha, and it was very tasty. Then we went to grab some icecream and came back home to watch a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment