Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Unified General Auditions

Today was the big day.

I didn't over rehearse or stress out or stay up all night the night before not being able to sleep. I was really excited to wake up today, and I got ready, arrived on time, met some nice people, and then did my thing.

It was a fun audition and it was nice to be in front of so many theatre companies at once instead of auditioning for them individually. Since they're all local companies instead of touring/universities/outside regional theatres they can have callbacks as soon as this week--or as late as 5 or 6 months from now when they're searching for people that fit a certain profile.

I picked the 'loud' warm up room, which was for people that wanted to rehearse before going on instead of sitting in silence. It was kind of cool to hear other people's auditions. I haven't had the opportunity to hear many auditions outside of Missouri. I have to say, it was exciting. Everyone was very good.

Kaitie and I talked recently about how perhaps, especially in a market like this, the directors don't care about the monologue that you're performing. They don't necessarily care to hear the words. They're much more interested to see the emotions you play, how you play them, and do you look like someone that fits into their season. There's really no use stressing over what pieces you're doing, because the chances are they don't care.

I got up on the stage and performed my two pieces in that moment. I got some good laughs, and felt a good energy during my more dramatic piece.

Honestly, I don't remember much of it. As it should be, I say. Now I sit around and wait to see if anyone is interested in my resume or my look or my ability.

Of course, I'm awful at sitting around and waiting. So I'm not. I'm moving onward and upward. I have some summer auditions lined up if I can find the time to do them. I don't want to wait and hope for something to happen.

I want to feel like I'm actively pursuing what I love, and I never want to let my day job or the time between auditions get the best of me. I've done a lot of reevaluating this past week, and I have some big plans that don't include me sitting around to wait for an opportunity to come my way!

I saw Oklahoma last night at The 5th Avenue and it was just fabulous. I loved every second of it. I'd never seen it before, and I'm so glad I had the opportunity. The set changes were on par with Broadway, and I had no idea that the theatre even had that capability. The acting and the singing and the dancing were amazing, and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face after the show was finished. Of course, there was a standing O.

~

Things I learned in my last acting class:

In a scene your objective is incredibly important, but what you need to work for most in a scene is to overcome your obstacle. By doing this you will be actively reaching for your objective and using your actions.

We read a scene from Cyrano, and Katie and I struggled a little to find the right words we wanted to use for our obstacles. However difficult it may be, it's an incredibly useful tool.

I've been using it on all my subsequent work so far and it's been very helpful.

I had an audition on Sunday that went really well. I did not receive a callback, but the audition itself was a lot of fun, and a great opportunity for me to apply what I've been learning in my classes. I also applied this past lesson in my audition today, though I'm not sure it was to great effect.

But if there's one thing I've learned in the last three years it's that there are only so many things in your control. Your preparation, your presentation, and how you let that affect you. The outcome of an audition is never in your control. I had a great time today and I'll have to see what comes of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment