Friday, May 3, 2013

Spring Fever

So I had started some blog posts previously, and hadn't had time to finish them. I just posted one of my previous posts from early April.

It's been so busy I've let time get away from me. My only excuse is I've had a wonderful two months focusing on real life and forgetting to catalog it. Sorry!

Rehearsals for Starcrossed went extremely well, and I've had a great time with the cast and crew. We officially opened on Tuesday night, and can I just say I haven't enjoyed an opening that much in a while. There was so much laughter I had to wait nearly ten to fifteen seconds to say lines sometimes. What a treat!

Tonight I'll be performing in Spin the Bottle at Annex to preview Starcrossed for those who haven't seen it yet. I wrapped all my filming these last two months and I'm just waiting on footage from my commercial. I've taken new headshots and received the results, so you should be seeing those as soon as I have the full resolution images. Next up on my list of things to do is create my website! I can't believe I haven't done it yet.

This week I have three big auditions coming up. I'm very excited to sing and act and do my best to be remembered. Finally having the opportunity to audition for larger theatres here is so exciting for me. I can't wait to be in the room with them!

Rehearsals for my next upcoming show start as soon as Starcrossed closes in a month, so I've got a little bit of down time (which I'll be filling with classes and workshops and auditions). I was talking to a friend yesterday who is struggling with the decision of whether or not she wants to be an actor anymore. Is it worth it? she asked. Am I good enough? Is it what I want to do?  As we were talking and I explained my schedule and the way I live my life around it, I realized how happy I am doing what I'm doing.

I could potentially grab a full time job with a company that will help promote me within, find a better benefits package, have my nights free to myself, focus on a different kind of future. I look at that life, though, and think how unhappy I would be. Right now acting is what makes me happy. I wake up and go to work and look forward to rehearsals and auditions every day. When I get to rehearsals, I'm with friends that I love to spend my time with, and who I'm lucky to have. When I'm on stage I feel like there's no where else I'd rather be. If I could find a job at a theatre here, I'd be a happy camper. As it is, I keep my life free for agents, auditions, rehearsals, and shows. I call out early on the chance of an acting job. I stay up late to work on my characters. I'm more worried about being memorized than I am about planning curriculum. Until the day that changes, I'll never see these choices as a sacrifice. And that is the heart of being an actor--when does it become a sacrifice? When is it time to stop? It's different for everybody.

As for me, I couldn't be more excited for this coming week. There are so many great shows to see in this city, and so many great opportunities to perform. Here's to the beginning of the summer season!

No comments:

Post a Comment