Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Here's to nights off!

Successes of the last two weeks:

1. Had a fun general audition. I don't remember it, but I felt great about it.
I actually ran into a man last night at the theatre where my roommate's show is going into production this week. We were helping set up and they were holding auditions down the hall for another theatre company. This man saw me walking along and turned around and said "You look really familiar." I said, "The only time I've been in this theatre was for general auditions. I'm the girl who exited the stage the wrong way. I hear I was the only one." He said, "Oh, I promise you weren't the only one. But no, I saw your audition. I remember you. You were really good. What's your name?" I introduced myself and he congratulated me and walked on.  It was surreal and pleasant, and strange.  It's nice to have some form of feedback (no matter how subjective it is) since the theatres themselves don't get back to the actors until necessary. Or at all.

2. Auditioned for Wooden O's. This is a company that performs Shakespeare in the park in the summers. I was ridiculously sick for the audition and thought strongly about cancelling. In the end I decided it would be a year before I had the opportunity to audition again and I wasn't willing to give it up. I went, forgot my headshot and resume, and ended up blanking out on my monologue the first time through. I've never EVER done that before, but I know it won't be the last time in my career that it happens. That's life. The auditors ended up being so friendly. They drew a picture of me to remember me, and they let me redo my audition. The second time I felt fabulous about. Granted, it wasn't a great first impression, but I ended up having a good time and I don't regret the decision to attend.

3. I have an audition next Monday for the other Shakespeare in the park company Green Stage. I hear there is a friendly rivalry, but I would love to work for either. Or both. Someday. I love the classics, and it's fun to be auditioning for them in succession.

4. Last night I attended my first play reading for The Endangered Species Project. They were doing a staged reading of Terrence Rattigan's The Winslow Boy which is based off a true story. It was a phenomenal piece. It's not often performed because it's longer than most plays, and it has a larger cast. It's difficult for many theatres to perform plays with large casts because of the monetary expenses. I fell in love with the piece and I'm determined to read more of Mr. Rattigan's work in the future. A friend from my murder mystery was performing in it, and she was nice enough to introduce me to some great people. I'm excited to see the next show they produce next month.

5. I've seen two shows since Oklahoma. I saw Tartuffe at Taproot Theatre  which was fantastic! I loved it so much. I also absolutely adored the theatre itself. The space is one of my favorites. It's a thrust stage (audience on 3 sides, as the Warehouse Theatre was in college) but it manages to have a large audience area that stays intimately close to the stage itself. There's not a bad seat in the house. I would love to perform there one day. I also recently saw Freakstorm at Ghostlight Theatricals. I ended up only being able to catch the second act because I couldn't locate the theatre, but I really enjoyed what I saw. It has an alum from my college, and I had two friends performing in it as well. It's a modern adaptation of Shakespeare's The Tempest. I hope to catch the rest of it this weekend.


Last week I did a lot of research to pick my favorite Shakespeare monologues. I hadn't auditioned Shakespeare in a while, and so I learned some new pieces. Katie and I ended up putting off our acting lesson for the week because she was crazy busy with The Foreigner which is opening this weekend, and I was busy rehearsing for my auditions. It's been nice to have a little time to relax, and some great auditions to focus on.

There's a part of me that's really worried about being bored this summer, especially when all my friends will be busy doing theatre at one of the places I love most in the world. But honestly, I'm so happy to have time to save money and really orient myself to see what direction I want to go next.

I'm almost finished writing the skits for my Comedy Class. I've signed on to teach the Spring Shakespeare class as well. All in all, I've been busy but not too crazy. What a nice change of pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment