Friday, March 16, 2012

Evaluation

So this past week and a half has brought about a lot of new thoughts for me.

That's probably because I went bungee jumping this past Saturday, and there's nothing like flinging yourself off a bridge (twice) to make a person reevaluate priorities and life goals.

In other news, I saw Freakstorm and The Foreigner, which were both wonderful productions. Freakstorm was a smaller, avante-garde show. It's a modern adaptation of The Tempest, and it was an interesting and funny take on the story. The Foreigner has a beautiful set in a lovely theatre with a cast that fits their parts perfectly.

I've also auditioned for a new play reading and Greenstage's Shakespeare in the Park (The Taming of the Shrew and Henry VIII). I've been cast in the play reading and I have callbacks coming up for both Shakes shows. I've been to an acting class, taught two acting classes, signed on for a new Shakespeare class I'll be teaching, and have been accepted into a one night class on some exciting theatre techniques I've been dying to learn. I've also been asked to come shoot some more test scenes for the film I worked on previously.

All in all, as slow as it seems around here, I seem to be staying fairly busy with the theatre industry.

However, since I bungee jumped I've definitely been looking at the last couple months and thinking more and more about the direction I want to take. How much of my career am I willing to leave up to chance at this point? Do I want to just continue to audition for everything I can and hope for the best? Do I want to look into grad schools this next year, already, instead of sticking it out a while longer? Do I want a different market?

It's hard to answer these questions at the moment, but I have an entire summer ahead of me to figure out everything that I want.

I know that I miss feeling like theatre is the largest part of my life. I know that I want to do more meaningful work than I've had the opportunity to do here so far. And I know that I need some more life experience before I can figure out what roles are me, which will help me along significantly.

Either way, it's been an exhausting week and a half, and I couldn't be more excited for this weekend in which I get to relish having two days of nothing but acting filled fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment