Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tornadoes, Change-Over, Opening, and Rehearsal

Friday and Saturday nights of The Fantasticks we had really bad weather. Friday Professor B had to come on stage and tell the audience in the middle of the show that the weather was getting bad and they were free to leave if they wanted to. Then when they restarted the show the power went out and they had to wait before picking back up again. The Bantam show for the company got cancelled because of the weather and it was rescheduled for Saturday night.

Of course, Saturday we ended up having a tornado warning, and the sirens went off. We stopped the show, asked the audience to stay in their seats and then we headed down to our storm shelter to wait things out. We finally restarted the show, and I the rush at the concession stand at intermission was crazy!

I received a very nice compliment from a couple who had seen East of the Sun and the guy tipped me! It's so interesting to be in a place where people appreciate theatre so much, since in most of the USA it's over looked and not seen as a profession.

Saturday night we did our Bantam show extra late and the company really loved it. It was great to finally have a good sized audience in the space that liked the material. We'd been playing to audiences of 12 and it was a little rough.

Sunday night we had strike and change-over, meaning we take down the whole set of The Fantasticks and install the set for Girls of the Garden Club. We were out until 1:30, which was really fast. It was a huge set, and I was on deck crew, meaning I was helping put up the set instead of working lights or something else. It was a lot of fun having a hand in putting up the show. I need to get a picture of the set, it's huge and beautiful. The Scenic Designer did a fantastic job, and he was really fun to work with.

Most of the plays this season are box sets, meaning they have 3 walls, boxing in the stage. So a lot of our change-overs are going to be intense. But the set designs look really cool, I think.

I got put on Props Run crew for Girls of the Garden Club which is slow going since most everything is brought on by the actors themselves. We have few hand offs, but 2 big set changes that we have plenty of time for. It's a very relaxing crew and I'm finding a lot of time to work on my lines for The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds, which is great because I had my first rehearsal today and I was very familiar with the script. I'm nearly memorized.

Rehearsal was fun, and we had some great talks with the director about our characters and relationships and I'm very excited to get to work. The set design looks amazing, and we get to have a real rabbit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment