Friday, June 25, 2010

Some Things to Think About

Watching The Fantasticks last night really made me realize some things. Melissa was doing her thing up on stage, surrounded by 4 guest artists and holding her own. That's what this summer is here to show us. Can we do this with the professionals? Will I hold my own? Can I see myself in a year acting for money?

You bet I can.

Boji didn't really start for me, until I saw that show and realized that this is really something I can do. Those actors up there made me remember why I love this all so much. We all worked so hard to put everything together to give them a good run, and they worked hard to ensure that this theatre stays open. They were all so talented. And those guest actors graduated from my school years ago, and they'll always have a place at Boji.

This is a bit convoluted, but what I think I'm trying to say is that for the first time yesterday, I felt like a professional. And I was so proud of Melissa up on stage, acting like a professional. And I use professional as a term of describing that she's not only incredibly talented but she also knows what she's doing. Boji isn't school. We've learned enough by now to truly apply it and make our own success.

I've also been doing a lot of reading this summer to get a grasp on what I'd like to do after graduation. There's so many amazing theatres that offer paid acting internships, and there are quite a few repertory theatres out there to audition for before attempting to go big. I'm still interested in film, and I've been thinking a lot about moving to Dallas and working small time to build a resume first. Of course, I can't really know what I'll be doing because I'm going to have so many auditions this next year and I'll learn so many things about the business that I never knew before that will change my perspective. One of our recent grads talked to us a little last week and told us the percentage of people who make it in this business working only as actors without another side job. It's not a lot. But I think I'll have to figure that out when the time comes, and right now--I'm going to focus on Boji and work my hardest to be a professional too.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you, and so happy that you feel that you're now a professional. It's a great feeling knowing your doing the right thing in life. That is how I felt the first time I got to have a class all to myself without a teacher. I had no problems with the kids, and they learned. At that moment I knew I was right to be a teacher!
    Keep it up little sis!

    ReplyDelete