Friday, March 26, 2010

It's Official

It's officially SPRING BREAK!

Other official things on the list:

1. I was not cast in the musical! It was an awesome first experience, and the cast list looks great so I can not wait to see this show! I've heard so much about it because so many of my friends have their fingers dipped somewhere in the prep pot, and from what I've heard we'll be ending the year with a bang!

2. I am Public Relations for the Warehouse Theatre! Our whole board is made up of my class mates and 1 amazing first year. We have a really great group put together and we've already started reading possible plays to pick for the next season. I'm so excited to be a part of something so amazing. An entire board full of women is unheard of in the professional world, and it's going to be something that will definitely help me after graduation. I'll be learning a lot of new things and I should even be getting a huge binder from the former Public Relations chair that will help me in my next year here.

3. I will be doing my last strike of the semester tonight so I have no more obligations to worry about this semester crew-wise! Every semester we are required to strike (take-down, dismantle, and reorganize) two shows, and one has to be a main stage. I did strike for my show earlier this semester and I'll be doing my main stage show tonight. It's the last night of Playing for Time and they've had a great turn out. Everyone has been so supportive of the sensitive subject matter and the cast has definitely gotten their message across.

4. I have an apartment in Hillcrest. My friends also have apartments, and we went this week to go check them out. They're awesome! We have our own kitchen/living area, a small hallway, then a bedroom with a big closet, and a nice sized bathroom with--wait for it--a BATHTUB. I couldn't be more excited.

5. I will be in Chicago in 2 days! It's crazy! This will be my first big road trip without my parents. Technically I took one over Christmas break, but it was to a place I had already been. I've never been to Chicago. We'll be seeing Dangerous Liaisons, Trust, and The 50th Anniversary of Second City. We really wanted to see a musical, but it just wasn't happening. We're hoping to be able to pick up an extra show, maybe at some hole-in-the-wall artsy theatre somewhere. Experimental Theatre is always cool to see.

I've actually never seen a professional straight play. College is the closest I've come. I've seen a lot of Broadway and Touring musicals, but I haven't watched a play, so I'm extremely excited about the opportunity to watch some of these professional actors get their game on!

Another exciting thing I did this week was support the group called Trama Textiles. They're an organization in Guatemala made up of women whose families were destroyed in the war during the '80s. They make their money by hand weaving clothes, bags, jewelry, wallets, scarves, headbands, hair accessories, and a lot more. It's amazing. We had the President and Vice President come in and talk to our Global Village class. It was their first time ever out of Guatemala to share their story, and we had to have a translator come in because they didn't speak English. After they spoke and told their story and their mission (Which is amazing) I went out and bought a bunch of their stuff to support their cause. They have an awesome website if you want to check out any of their things. Tramatextiles.org

Now to school:

Acting IV: My Lady Windemere's Fan scene is officially blocked and now I just need to memorize and be off book for after break. It's a fun scene; I get to be distraught and beside myself as I try to fight off my (unbeknownst to me) mother.

Theatre History II:

We read The Little Foxes and A Streetcar Named Desire this week. Both were very good, but I definitely loved Streetcar more...not that there's any comparison. I'm glad I waited until now to read both of these plays because I wouldn't have grasped their significance if I'd had to read them in high school. I got hold of the movie with Marlon Brando of Streetcar and I'll be watching that this weekend with my roommate before we leave for Chicago, I'm excited!

Voice lessons this week were just preparing me for my callback, so we didn't really do much else. We did pick the bars I'll be singing for my upcoming Boji audition, though. So I need to work on those.

Otherwise, this week was just incredibly long, but honestly not too hard. And now it's time for a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment