Monday, July 12, 2010

Tech Day, Then Opening

This has been one crazy rehearsal process. We blocked the show in two days. We were off book by Tuesday. We were working Act 1 by Wednesday and Act II by Thursday (which is 1 week of rehearsal). Then by Friday we were running the show! We ran the show twice on Saturday. The first time we performed it for our designers so they could get a last minute look at things they needed to consider, and for some of our production staff.

Instead of doing a full run the second time through, we did a line-through. Director B is really great about trying not to wear down the cast since it's such a heavy show.

I'm happy that I was able to get off book on schedule. Working in the Box Office for the week helped since I could study lines in my down time. I had a ton of costume fittings this week as well. My character wears really tight clothes and so our Costume Designer C, the same designer I had for Playhouse Creatures, decided that she wanted to build all my pieces. So she spent the week measuring me and making my costumes by hand.

They're amazing. She had a lot of help from our guest designer for Company that has been watching my process--she's a great teacher. So I had two skirts and a dress constructed for my character, and then distressed to look older on stage. It was really cool to be a part of the process, since at school they usually pull from stock whatever they want you to wear. I'd never had someone take the time with me to build my costume. That's real dedication there.

Last night was Strike and Change Over, and it went pretty fast. We were out at 1:30 again. The set looks great, and today we get to dress it. The house is full of junk, so it's going to be a fun job for props to throw things around and make it look messy. Today is Tech Rehearsal as well. So starting in the afternoon we'll do that, and by late tonight, probably around 9 or 10, we'll start our Dress Rehearsal. It's going to be a long fun night. This is the one night we have to see if we need to change blocking now that we're on the set, or costumes now that we're moving in the real space. We'll see how it goes!

And Mom gets here tomorrow!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment