Saturday, February 27, 2010

Theatre Education I: My Story (Tom)

Theatre Education I: My Story (Tom)

What an interesting article.I'd never considered the fact that so many pre-professional programs were becoming problematic to the art form of theatre. I can understand the fear, but I think the answer is finding the right program. My theatre program is about learning all facets of theatre. Perhaps we don't have enough years in school to truly understand everything in depth, but the emphasis here is never just on acting or singing or tech. I'm required to take costuming, stage craft, stage management, theatre history--and encouraged to take lighting, drafting, rendering and other technical classes. We have required crews to finish before being allowed to graduate. 3 Prep crews (meaning putting the show together before it goes on, which includes props, lights, shop, paint, and costume) and 3 run crews (teching the show during its run, which includes costume, props, light board op, sound op, spot op, deck, and any additional crew positions needed for the show).

I'm taught the philosophy that being well-rounded is going to not only make me a better artist but put me in the position to do more jobs. Now, I can see that this isn't exactly the education that Tom recieved during his Bachelor's training, but I think it's a far cry better than many of the other BFA programs in the country.

It's so important to research the schools you're thinking of attending to make sure they have the program that fits you and your goals. I'm honored to be at a college that really tells me about the real world. They don't encourage grad school, not only because they feel this program prepares a person for the professional world, but also because being in school and being an actor out in the real world are two different things. My school doesn't have an MFA program, so the BFA majors are more likely to have the opportunity to be cast, design, and tech a show. My professors don't follow the philosophy of "break down/build up". They also don't subscribe to the star system. My first year here the very first lesson we learned was that everyone would be starting at their own personal best. No one was going to learn the same way or at the same rate. We're not graded off what is "right" ( there is no right, the professors do subscribe to that), we're graded off our own improvement. Each audition we walk into, the casting isn't based on a previous show or the work a student does in class (there is some bias, we're only human). It's based on how well a person does that day, in the audition room. We're also encouraged to never get big heads (they chop that down right away) and to support our fellow artists. Theatre is a community endeavor.

I'm thankful that I stumbled onto a program that fits me and my ideals so well. I've enjoyed every minute of my time here. It's so easy to go to the first school that accepts you, or to not apply to schools that you would be happier at, simply because you never knew what their program was about. College theatre, if you're doing it as a stepping stone to get out in the real world, is a big deal. Choosing the wrong school can ruin your love of the craft very quickly. Take your time. And be smart about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment