Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hey la Hey la Neoclassicism

That was the ending of a song made by my friend to help us study for our theatre history test! The test ended up being a good deal shorter than our notes, which was cool because there was less to remember, but not as cool because...you already worked so hard to remember all of it. But it's done, and I'm pretty sure I did well, so I guess we'll find out!

What a crazy weekend it's been! Friday night I saw Much Ado About Nothing, and it was phenomenal! It was the perfect play for theatre weekend at my school because the prospective students got a good idea of not only the talent of the students, but also of the faculty. Two of my acting professors were leads, and then we had a guest star--a man that used to be faculty but retired the year I came. He was amazing. I'm so sad I never got the chance to work with him. The show had a great pace, a beautiful set, and I understood everything that was going on (which is the true test of doing Shakespeare for the general public). It was also hilarious, which was slightly unexpected because I didn't find it near as funny when I first read it. I'm so proud to be a part of my program!

Saturday I went home with my roommate and we saw a production of Guys and Doll's at her old high school. Can I just say how sad I am sometimes that there are so many lacking high school theatre departments? The production was overall, well done. There were some elements such as staging that could have been improved upon, and of course there was more focus on singing than acting, but honestly it was a great show. My high school theatre department never had the resources of this school. Our sets were few and far between until my junior year, our singing ability was nil, and the amount of people interested was next to none. It was always a struggle to be taken seriously, and we fought a long battle in community outreach to get the public to come see our shows and support our department. I was so excited this weekend to see the amount of support from the community this high school had backing them. They're a very lucky bunch of kids. They also had a brand new theatre, which never hurts.

Today I auditioned for my first 'feature film'. Which means, my first non-student driven project, with the chance of being distributed internationally. Don't get too excited! It was a cool experience to audition for a group of people that have made films in the past. There are around 35 parts available, and it was nice because they're really attempting to work around student schedules. It's written and directed by two men from LA who have done several projects with Sony and taken some films to Sundance or Toronto (I think is what they said). The director grew up in the town I'm going to school in, so he was excited about the prospect of shooting a film at home and using the local talent since our theatre department here is nationally recognized. I should know relatively soon, but I was just excited about the opportunity! There's no telling how it will turn out, but I'm thankful that I have the chance to do some semblance of professional projects while I'm still attending school. It's great experience and another thing to add to the resume!

All in all it was a pretty packed weekend and I have a lot of work to catch up on to make sure I'm ready for classes tomorrow. This week Wednesday starts Tech Week for my show, which means the crew will come watch the show to get an understanding of their jobs and then we'll work out the lighting, sound, and set problems to make sure everything is running smooth by next week Wednesday when we open!

No comments:

Post a Comment