Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How the Story Goes

So I've been thinking for a while about creating a blog and keeping a record of my experiences this way. Obviously, I finally gave in and did it. I used to generally be against blogging mostly because I didn't understand how useful a tool it was. Now it's my turn to try my hand at it!

I've been mulling over the fact that my acting journals have become less and less in depth. I pay so much attention in class that I don't stop to write down a lot of information anymore; and the classes this second year are less lecture and more hands on so the journal has become more of a personal tool than a resource based on professors' lectures. I really needed something that I would feel inclined to update regularly, and my notebooks just weren't cutting it for me. So this blog is as much out of self-preservation as it is to inform others.

Let's jump right in, shall we?

Today was another crazy day in the life of a BFA theatre major. Non-stop class from 10 (yes I'm lucky enough that my classes start late this semester) to 4. Today was Global Studies, Theatre History II, Performance Technique, and my required math course. Then straight to rehearsal! The student run theatre on my campus is putting on a production of Playhouse Creatures, a drama about the first actresses on the stage in the 1600s. It's not historically accurate 100% of the time, but it's based on fact, and therefore a challenge that I'm enjoying.

Rehearsals go from 4-5:30 and then a dinner break. They resume again at 7:30 until 10:30. It's our 2nd-ish week of rehearsal and we're doing run-throughs, so it's a long night. However, I got to do a costume fitting today, and the restoration period dress is going to be an amazing thing to experience on stage. The costumes are so weighted down by layers that after only standing still for half an hour I was tired. I'm excited to build my endurance for a motion filled 2 hour long show!

This weekend is the opening of the mainstage show Much Ado About Nothing. I can't wait to see it! My classmates have been working so hard, and the guest director they brought in is well-versed in Shakespeare. I expect it will be an amazing show.

The plan is to continue to update this blog on my progress through school and to possibly go back and sum up what I've experienced so far in my year and a half in a BFA program. It's going to be an exciting journey.

1 comment:

  1. Sacha! Wow... What an amazing history you've created. It feels so cool to look back through and see all the great detail from Stephens and Boji. I can't wait to see what you do next! Feel free to have a blog HOW_TO thingy Any time. Its very cool, and I'd love to follow your lead. :)
    Your Susie sis, and fellow Horse Girl,
    Kasey <3

    ReplyDelete