Sunday, December 16, 2012

The way of the world

After the terrible events in Connecticut on Friday December 14, 2012, I read this article by an actor about why we do theatre. It's really very inspiring, and I wanted to share it:

http://bramongarciabraun.com/uncategorized/connecticut/

In it the author talks about how his acting instructor taught him that theatre is done to save people in times of tragedy. It helps them cope, breathe, and find a direction to move forward in. I was taught the same things by my acting instructors.

Some times it's easy to forget the larger reasons why I do theatre. Of course it's fun, a form of self expression, and an unbeatable outlet. But I also do it because of the impact it has on others. I do it to help, to teach, to serve a greater community in ways they can't serve themselves.

I was especially hard hit by this tragedy because not only are my parents teachers, but I'm one as well. The children I teach daily are the same ages as so many of the victims. I don't have many words to describe this experience, but I know that it will serve as a reminder to many that life is priceless and these are times of change.

It is the duty of theatre to help in times of change. I urge everyone to help in whatever way they can. Do a good deed, compliment someone, express yourself and help others. Share your love of something with someone else. Hug a child. Hug a teacher. Most importantly, open yourself to something new and do it for all of the children and teachers that will never have the chance.  Love.

Here is one artist that is helping in his way:
http://jasonrobertbrown.com/2012/12/16/twenty-six-names/

No comments:

Post a Comment