Thursday, August 23, 2012

Comedic Timing

I guess this is my time for comedy. I'll be performing in my second straight comedy this fall! I love that I'm getting the chance to stretch myself and try on my funny pants for a change. Take that drama! Oh wait...there's some of that in this play too.


I had one of those weekends that you look back on and think, "Why did I ever think that was a good idea?" Of course, this meant it was a great idea because I learned a ton.

Because I lost my phone on Bainbridge Island and was without communication or navigational capabilities, I had to learn routes to places beforehand (oh the horror, I know I live in a digital age) and make sure I left with enough time to get lost.  This wouldn't have been a huge issue if I hadn't been carrying the entire set for Shrew in my car and couldn't afford to get lost, and if I hadn't booked myself so full. This weekend I had two callbacks, two auditions, two shows (post phone loss), and some errands.

My first callback was for a feature film that didn't end up panning out. I did have a really fun time at the callback though. The script was really accessible emotionally and I was able to read with the male that had already been cast opposite my character.  I learned that organic blocking in a film audition is difficult. I was in an unfamiliar setting that was opposite to where the characters in the script were located. It was exciting to try and make it work, but I know I could have been more effective if the movement had been made more clear in the space. In the end, my schedule conflicted with the shooting dates, so this wasn't meant to be my first feature film.

Then I had an audition for an upcoming comedy that I was crossing my fingers for. I prepared two monologues, performed them, and scored a callback for the role I wanted most. The next night I had a four hour callback for the role. It was the most fun I've had in a callback since Shrew. I had the opportunity to read so many times that I felt the freedom to make crazy choices because I knew I'd be in the room again to try something new later. I felt daring and funny and read with some very talented people that only made the scenes funnier (which is all you can hope for).

I found out the next day that I got cast! I was so excited. This was also the day I finally received my phone in the mail and was able to finally look at my long lost schedule. I found a lot of conflicting rehearsal dates between this new show and my Fringe Festival piece. Luckily for me, my directors were willing to work around the conflicts and I'll be performing in both this fall!

I also auditioned for a short film that went well and I'm waiting to hear back on.

Here are some things I learned from my weekend:

1. It's good to audition as much as possible. However, if you're going to audition for many things that will be happening in the same time frame, be prepared to make decisions between them if it should come to that. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in auditioning and forget that all the people you're auditioning for think they can cast you. They can't. You'll have to decide.

2. Don't put your whole schedule in your phone if you're going to lose your phone. It can cause you a lot of stress.

3. Know your conflicts before an audition. Don't ever put a director in a position to cast you if you can't accept.

4.  Auditioning is FUN! Seriously, it's too much fun. I'm like an adrenaline junkie and I love the high I get from putting myself out there. Don't overdose--it's not healthy. Give yourself a chance to figure out what you want from an audition instead of auditioning for everything you qualify for.

5. I need more headshots and resumes.


I took an assistant position this week at a summer theatre camp. It's been a lot of fun to be in a new environment. It has made me excited to start back this fall with my after school theatre teaching. I hope I get some exciting classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment