Saturday, August 4, 2012

Back to Basics

My film audition last weekend went splendidly. I walked into one of the smallest waiting rooms I've ever had the pleasure of squeezing myself into and met my fellow actors. Now, unlike many of the auditions I've been attending in Seattle where you read with a scene partner, this audition had a designated reader.

This means, when it was finally my turn to go inside, I met the director, the writer, the assistant director, and my reader. I got incredibly lucky this time around because my reader was awesome! Sometimes, the reader doesn't know how to be an active scene partner and they don't help you out by reading well and with purpose. However, this reader was very giving and made it a point to stay in the scene with me, even going so far as to act the stage directions for me to respond off of. Because of this, I had a great audition. I was able to read three scenes, two for the main role, and one for the supporting best friend.

I'm finally gaining more confidence in my auditions to do what I need to do in order to have a good audition. I walked in and introduced myself. The scenes I was reading for took place in beds and chairs, so even though I didn't see one available I asked for one. I could tell by the surprise on their faces that no one had bothered to do that yet. Lucky for me it was pleasant surprise, and the reader happily gave up his chair for me to have. After I had finished reading, I was asked to do one of the scenes again with a little direction. I thought I took the direction well, and the director seemed to agree. Before I left they asked for my headshot and resume to keep.

Normally these are required at every audition an actor attends. However, in Seattle there are some that don't ask for it because you've already emailed it to them, or because they don't want it unless they know they want to hold onto it. This film didn't ask me to bring one in, but I was taught well and so I always have one on hand because you never know when you'll be asked for one. I happily gave them my headshot and resume and then proceeded to try and block the very exciting audition from my mind since I knew there was a large group of actors auditioning and I wouldn't hear back for a while.

I just got the email two days ago--I scored a callback for the lead! I'm so excited to have another opportunity to read for this character because I love the script. Also, I have some things I'd like to try differently, and I always feel lucky when I'm given a second chance to do better.

Unfortunately, I'm not certain what kind of filming schedule their going to have. The audition process was a little unorganized in this regard because I expected to be asked my availability, but hopefully things will work out if I'm lucky enough to get cast.

Tuesday is the beginning of my next rehearsal process! My Fringe Festival show will be underway and moving along before I know it. My improv show starts the week after, so I'm already jumping in full steam ahead before I've wrapped Shrew.

Shrew has been going very well. It's amazing how fast the time flies. I spent my whole summer rehearsing and performing this show, and I can't believe there are only two weekends left. This past weekend had great audience turnout and support. This weekend I expect will be even better. The longer the show is open, the more word of mouth travels and makes people drive over to see the show. I plan to make the most of these last performances!

On an unrelated note, I spent my week traveling around Washington with the family and took some great pictures.

Also, I recently read a great article in the New York Times (even though it was written forever ago) that really rang true with me.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/17/arts/theater-the-demon-seesaw-actors-ride.html?src=pm

It's about why actors do what they do. Written by Frank Langella, an actor himself, the article speaks to the dangers of a career in acting as well as the reason many of us do it anyway. I myself am only truly beginning to understand many of the fears talked about in this piece, and if I'm lucky I will never know all of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment