Thursday, February 10, 2011

Almost Opening and other collected stories

I've given it some thought and decided that this week has definitely made the top 5 for most exhausting weeks of my life.

With last week's blizzard, all the classes have been playing catch up so there's a heavier coarse load to worry about. Midwest Auditions are next week, and all of the faculty is working to make sure we're prepared so I've had a lot of deadlines to worry about, along with my choice of package material ( which, by the way, is completely irrelevant because I won't be able to stay for callbacks, and very few of the theatres would ever consider hiring me because I don't sing and dance, but this doesn't matter because I have a compulsion to always do my best. So even though I shouldn't spend my time stressing about finding new pieces to work with that will make me a better fit for all the companies that won't be hiring me because I can't stay to talk to them and because I already have summer employment lined up, I've spent many hours this week stressing about it anyway. How ridiculous.) and rehearsals.

Rehearsals have been going fabulous. We have Clean House auditions Monday however. So I've been wanting to focus on that, but it's been impossible with the pressure on for Midwest, catching up in classes, and my focus has (and should be) been on the show at hand.

We finally got on stage Tuesday night, after our run through Monday. We got to run all the way to the middle of Act II. We were already playing catch up because Tuesday is usually the day that Act II is completed and then Wednesday is a full run. However, we came in Wednesday and picked up from where we left off and finished teching the show. Then they gave us half an hour to get into costume and make up before we started a run of the whole show.

The hair in this play is beautiful, but such a pain to do. I don't know how women ever had the patience for it. It takes me 30 minutes to curl my bangs completely with a small curling iron to get the correct time period appropriate look. The rest of my hair I put in sponge curlers all day, which gets me interesting looks from all the non theatre majors on campus, but such is life. Honestly, I think it's good PR and more people want to see the show when girls walk around with odd hair dos all day.

The costumes are gorgeous as well. They're also the only part of the show I'm still a little uncertain on. I don't leave stage that often, so I have people come on stage to dress me during scene changes, but we're all still trying to work out the kinks of which bonnet is paired with which scene according to season, and which gloves go with which outfit. The costume changes have been going much swifter than I thought they would though, so that is good.

I haven't gone up on lines, which is also comforting after such an odd rehearsal process. Everyone's spirits have been very high and every night is fun and has good energy. It's always a good experience to have a cast that loves to be in the theatre.

I'm a little brain dead right now from so many late nights and too much monologue searching, but I wanted to say how much fun I've had during this rehearsal process. Working with younger actors has been such a learning experience. They remind me constantly of lessons I've learned that I was starting to forget. It's been so nice to work with people I don't spend much time with on a regular basis. I have so much fun when I go to rehearsal everyday. Today we received notes about last night's run through. I was surprised that they allowed us to finish the show since it meant ending at midnight and the usual cut off is 10 pm. But I was glad to have a run of it. Director B reminded everyone today that we can't forget that every scene furthers the story, and no scene can ever seem unimportant. We must drive the show. Director B also gave me some nice compliments on some of the more emotionally invested scenes I have. She's really been enjoying them lately, which is comforting to know. Tonight's rehearsal went really well for me, as well. Everyone really picked up the pace and we discovered a lot of new tactics to try.

One of the things that I've improved on with this show, is my ability to stay with a scene, and really listen. I discovered in Rabbit Hole that I wasn't as good at staying connected as I thought. Collected Stories definitely kept me on my toes, but this show does as well. I have such odd transitions to master and every scene has it's own new vibe. I've had to work really hard to mentally prepare myself before every scene to remind myself where I should be emotionally. It's been an interesting mental exercise, and I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with emotions on stage again. Rabbit Hole had scared me off for a while, because it was so difficult for me in the time span I was given. I feel as if I've made progress, and that's really all I can ask for.

I've spent a lot of this process doing my own thing. And the coolest thing about it, was that I never questioned if I was doing something the way Director B wanted it, or wondered if I should try something. If I wanted to try something I did, and I built my character myself. It's taken me these 2 1/2 years to get to this place of confidence in my ability as an actor, and I think it's the greatest gift that college can give me. I feel like I could enter any rehearsal process and bring what is expected of me to the table the first day in. I feel prepared. And this show has really solidified that for me; it will be sad for the process to end.

BUT I CAN'T WAIT TO BREATHE. I need a second to get my priorities in line for the next 3 months before graduation, and to pick up the slack on some of my Warehouse Public Relations duties. I need to think about Spring Break, Summer, and next Fall. I need to make some plans!

Professor L has said some really inspiring things in comedy class lately, about being an actor. She's really gone back to the basics with us and we've spent a lot of class time warming up our bodies and reconnecting with the Alexander technique and opening up our diaphragmatic breathing. We learned today about 'attacking' the opening line of a monologue. You have to be focused, and drive it with energy. You have to make the auditors pay attention to you and say 'this girl's got something to say'. This, subsequently, has taught me a lot about what is a good monologue and what isn't. A monologue that has a breezy first line, might not be the best pick for an audition.

We've talked a lot about our fears, and what we think we haven't quite mastered yet. I told Professor L that I have a hard time choosing one monologue to define who I am. It's difficult for me to choose which side of me I'd like to represent because I believe I have so much to offer. The advice she gave me was to make sure that my piece fits the company I'm auditioning for. Doing an unknown piece or a lesser known work may seem creative, but it might not get the best result. People want to see you do something reliable and sellable, sometimes. She reminded me to really cater to my audience, and that should help me narrow my choices. This is the 3rd advice from a faculty member that has changed my mind about my audition pieces, which is why I'm still trying to decide 1 week before my audition what I will be performing. This lapse in judgement is not a result of my college education, but rather my lack of decision making skills.

And my lack of time. And my inability to stay for callbacks, which makes the entire audition seem pointless. But I know it's not, so I will persevere.

Anyway, I need to be asleep right now, because this crazy show I've been working on opens tomorrow, and my hair has to look slightly presentable for the paying public.

In case I forgot to mention it: I'm SO EXCITED to open tomorrow.

These are the days when I know I love theatre!

No comments:

Post a Comment