Wednesday, February 27, 2013

So, that happened

TPS. Arguably the biggest audition day of the year in the Puget Sound happened last week. I had been working on my pieces with my private acting coach for weeks. I recently started an auditioning class at Freehold theatre, and my teacher there helped me prepare as well.

All in all, as compared to last year, this year I chose better pieces that represented the roles I wish to be cast in. I took a risk this year of adding in a dialect to my audition (kind of a no-no in the rule book, but it was necessary). Last year I took no risks and changed my audition piece on behalf of my prescreen auditors. I felt much more in control this year making my own conscious decision to break a rule. In the end I think it paid off. I received positive feedback from a few auditors/theatre companies. I feel good about the way it went. My time slot was right after a break, so the auditors had all gotten coffee and gone to the bathroom. They were bright eyed, and listening so there was a wonderful energy in the room.

I was no where near as nervous this year, probably because I was much more confident about the pieces I chose to perform, and because I knew people in the audience this year. Right after my audition I had a meeting with an artistic director from an outside theatre company. I also received several emails and was able to do one callback.

Overall I'd say I had a very positive experience, and I had fun!

This past weekend I also auditioned for a larger theatre company here. I had a good audition and ended up being called back. It's the second time I've made it to the final callbacks for this theatre, which means I'm doing something right. I don't think I'm as suited to the role as the other women I auditioned with, but only time will tell. There's only one part available to women, so the competition is pretty fierce.

This weekend I also began rehearsals for Starcrossed. I met the casts of the multiple plays, and we read through them. I had the interesting opportunity of reading for roles I wasn't cast in because some actresses weren't able to make it to the rehearsal. It was really fun to play around with characters since the directors weren't really looking at me for those roles since they've already been cast. I also received some positive feedback about the read through, which is always great. I think it's going to be a really exciting process, and I couldn't be happier to be working with this company.

February flew by. Auditions, classes, private lessons, agent business, and work all kept me really busy. Now I get to start auditioning for the upcoming summer season! There's some great opportunities to do some Shakespeare in the park, and I'm working on my pieces for those auditions now.  With rehearsals now begun, March and April are going to go by pretty quickly I'd imagine.

I'm just having a great 2013 so far! Oh, and my favorite news of the month: Fellow susie Erin will be making the move to Seattle this summer! She came to visit for TPS auditions, nailed them, and now she's working to save the money to come be part of the Seattle family. I couldn't be more excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment