Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Resume Building and Headshot Hunting

Resumes and Headshots--the two most important tools in an actor's kit. The Nuts and Bolts Advanced Acting class I'm taking this semester with Professor D is teaching me all about the real world and how's it done. Here's some of what I've learned:

Our assignment this week is to update/make our resume presentable to hand in and to research good headshot photographers that we'd like to shoot with. The proof is in the picture.

Professor D tells us our picture has to be eye catching. Our eyes need to hold secrets that make a casting director say "Let's call her in!" But of course, you have to be yourself because if you walk in the room and you don't look like your picture they won't want to talk to you. So this means that you need to market yourself in the way you want to be perceived to obtain the parts you'd like to act. If I want to be the girl next door then my picture shouldn't make me look too provocative, otherwise I wouldn't be called in for the part.

There is a balance. I wouldn't want to look like a crazy woman in my headshot just so I could play a psychotic role.

I found it all very interesting to hear about. We learn a lot in the class that seems like common sense, but I've realized I feel like I know what I'm talking about more because I learned it in class and not through my own research.

My Shakespeare acting class is in full swing now. We've performed our Romeo and Juliet scenes for the class. They all went well. It was an exercise in language, and now that we've gotten hold of that we're moving onto Sonnets. I'm performing Sonnet 116 in class on Friday for Professor R, and we'll perform them for everyone next week. Personally, I really enjoy sonnets because they're so personal. Here's my sonnet, if you'd like to read it:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken.
Love’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
With his bending sickle’s compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me prov’d,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov’d.

The Warehouse has been busy this week, as well. It's spirit week! We had Superhero Day, Lady GaGa Day, today is Disney Princess Day, and tomorrow is Twin Day. Last night was our first Open Mic night, where all the students gather and perform original works and hang out. Tonight is Speed Friending where we're going to pair upperclassmen (Mentors) with compatible lowerclassmen (Mentizzles) through a series of conversations in a rotating circle. In otherwords, it's like speed dating...but not! This has been the week for the underclassmen to put up declarations for class representative to join the Warehouse Board. Only one from each class can be chosen and we'll be having elections on Saturday after our Cleanup. We have a cleanup every year where the Warehouse members clean our performance spaces in time to kick off our first Dance! This year our theme is 90s music video! It's going to be a fun weekend for sure!

I'm also planning on seeing Equus this weekend in St. Louis with some friends. We have some recent graduates in the show and we're excited to see them at work. My friend Nancy is also doing a show in Kansas City and I hope to drag the old Rabbit Hole cast out to see her for lunch and then watch her show!

Gotta run to class!

No comments:

Post a Comment