Monday, June 17, 2013

The Summer Begins

For some reason I couldn't get my fingers to type anything worth posting this last month, though plenty has been happening.

I closed Starcrossed at Annex Theatre, and I've started rehearsals for my upcoming summer production of The Clockwork Professor by the amazing local playwright Maggie Lee. You can see our kickstarter campaign here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1086790052/the-clockwork-professor

It's a steampunk action, love story--so really it doesn't get any better than that. I'll be doing some dancing, some stage combat, and some strange contortion things.  We've blocked the entire show, and we've moved into run thrus! We're right on schedule, and we'll be opening July 12!

In other news I've had two callbacks, and a SAG audition. My callbacks were for a local theatre company doing some great plays, and I've just heard back from the director of one of them--and I got cast! I had such a fun time at the audition. It was the first time in a while that I got to use my British dialect, and I really enjoyed stretching those muscles. I'll be performing during the whole month of November, and I'm really looking forward to rehearsals, which will be starting in October.  More news to come as the show date gets closer!

I went to a SAG short film audition yesterday--my first. I had seen a posting for it online, and they contacted my agent and that was that. The second I showed up it was extremely apparent to me that I was the only non-union actor there (at least at the time I was called), and then I had the pleasure of double checking when I saw that the sign in list was for SAG-only, and everyone else was on it. Needless to say I was a little intimidated, and I had only discovered a couple hours prior to my audition that I might have the wrong sides. I was reading for a 40 year old character. The older women around me were all reading for the younger character, so certainly something was amiss. But no, I was told by the director as she came out to apologize for us being behind schedule that I was in fact reading for the 40 year old, and would I please read with this older woman (who was reading for the younger character--though she couldn't be much older than me at all) who was infinitely more prepared than I (I won't give you my excuses for not being prepared)?

Of course I agreed and went into the room, where luckily my co-actor read first. I say luckily because this film audition was so out of my league compared to the others I've attended in the city, and I truly felt like I was going to embarrass myself. Instead, I got to watch how she interpreted the sides (though we had different sides, at least I got to watch her movement ) and it was really helpful. In the end, I read twice. Once with the other actor, and once on my own. The directors ended up really liking us as a pair, and I was flabbergasted because I felt completely out of my league. I was confident in my audition, but not familiar with the process and so I was out of sorts. It was really nice to hear positive feedback in a situation like that, and it was also so beneficial for me to watch another actor do their audition. I can only cross my fingers that I'll have an opportunity to work on a project like this with some seasoned film actors who can teach me a thing or two.

I have more filming coming up in the next few months on House of Glass, which will be really fun. I also had the opportunity to do a play reading for a local playwright who will be putting her play on later this year. It was a really amazing script, and I can't wait to audition for the show. I would absolutely love to be a part of it. I was also asked to read a script at a fundraiser of a local theatre, and it turned out to be a big hit.

I've had some really wonderful experiences this past month--and I can't wait for the next month. I have a big audition coming up for a local theatre here. I also will be auditioning for a small touring company. I've become a company member at Annex Theatre, and I'm becoming more involved there. And soon I'll be opening The Clockwork Professor!  Good things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment