Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Callbacks and Auditions coming up

I'm so excited that I wanted to write this before I go to bed, which I really need to do since my crazy performance schedule picks back up tomorrow and I'll be exhausted.

In the last two days I did not clean my apartment, do my laundry or dishes, nor did I read a book. I did, however, rent two versions of Hamlet (Kenneth Branagh and David Tennant), brush up my audition pieces, and researched an excess amount of history pertaining to productions of Hamlet and their actors.

I got to my audition an hour early today and was lucky enough to sneak in about fifteen minutes before my time. For some reason I wasn't very nervous for this audition--which is only abnormal for me because I was so excited about it so I expected that to be a side effect. Honestly, I don't think my audition was top notch compared to what I wanted it to be, but you can't win every time. I was prepared, confident, and showed my range. And I did manage to get callbacks for both shows!

The directors were wonderful! One had heard of my college, which is beginning to happen so often that I need to stop being surprised by it. It was also a little exciting for me to have to schedule my callbacks with them around my show this weekend as well as some other auditions I'll be attending. It made me feel busy and important, which is of course ridiculous and untrue, but fun to pretend for the two minutes I was in the room.

I was also asked to go in another room and work with the Fight Director on some sword fighting and period movement (which I'm proud, and yet not humble enough to not mention that none of the six girls auditioning before me were asked to do). That was also a lot of fun. To be honest, I'm too young for Hamlet (they're looking for 25 and older), but I'm going to give this callback my absolute best. When listing the top ten roles I'd love to play in my career, Hamlet is definitely one of them--and it's not a role many females find the opportunity to approach. What an amazing chance.

All in all, it was a great start to my week of four upcoming shows. Tomorrow I have my first pick up rehearsal. Saturday I have one call back, one audition, and one performance. Sunday I have a callback and a performance.

The audition I have on Saturday is for a show that will be performing in the Seattle Fringe Festival which is reopening this year after a very extended hiatus. I've been trying to worm my way into it (which is, unsurprisingly, very difficult to do), so I'm hoping to get a good shot at it this weekend. There are going to be so many great and notable pieces performing in the festival this fall and I'd love the opportunity to join in.

I thought that auditions were going to take until August to pick up, but it looks like the race to cast seasons has begun already. Good thing I love auditioning! I can't wait to prepare a Hamlet monologue for this weekend!

1 comment: