Monday, February 4, 2013

Kickoff

2013. Woah.

I'm ecstatic about the progress I've made on some goals this year, and I'm excited to share the news.

I've been absent from the blogosphere for a couple weeks working out some auditions, some offers, and some great new opportunities.  The most exciting news: I now officially have an agent. I've signed on with Actors First and I couldn't be happier.

There are a lot of agents here in the city, but so many agencies cover so much talent, that it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. I was looking for an agent that would work for me. That was interested in what I have to offer and isn't looking to sign ten more of me in the process. One of the biggest mistakes an actor can make when searching for an agent is not knowing the right questions to ask. How much competition do you have in the agency? How active a role is your agent willing to take in your career?  Are they franchised? Who have they worked with? Those are just a few that come to mind in my specific situation, but I happened to have written a page long list that I brought in to my interview/audition. In the end, it was a great fit and I'm so ready to start on this new adventure!

In preparation I recently took a commercial workshop with a local casting director. Most of the information I had learned in college, but when we finally got up on our feet and started auditioning in front of the camera I really started learning things. It was a very useful exercise not only to be back in front of the camera, but to hear from a CD what it is that she wants to see. I remember in college always thinking about how I looked on camera. Were my expressions too large? Why did my eyebrows move when I didn't ask them too? I thought I put lipstick on, where did it go?

But this workshop focused so much on the intent and action behind a good commercial audition, that all of that stuff went out the window, and we were all truly able to focus on having a great read. I was able to listen to over ten different commercials, which was extremely beneficial since I've never done a commercial audition before. Even after watching commercials, I had forgotten there were so many different kinds!  I definitely feel much more prepared to find myself in front of the CDs in this city and have a great audition!

Recently I've been seeing as much theatre as I can. I've seen:
American Buffalo
Undo
Hamlet
A Doll's House
The Rest is Silence
A Day in the Death of Joe Egg

They've all been fabulous, and it makes me so excited to be working in a city that's doing such a great mix of new works and classics. I'm even starting to recognize the big name actors more...I know, it's only taken me a year. I have a list of shows I hope to see before the end of February, and I can't wait to see them all!

I recently turned down some shows offered to me in order to have the chance to audition with a company that I made it my mission to work for at least once. This weekend I had the audition...and the callback--and I  BOOKED IT.

I couldn't be happier to be performing in Star Crossed: And other tales from a devious universe at Annex Theatre this spring!

In other news, I've finished filming my kickstarter for an upcoming webseries I'll be filming in May. It should be released in the next month or so, and I'll provide the link. It's an all female, all action, mythological/sci-fi experience! If interested in the website,  you can find it here.

There isn't much info up yet, but there should be some coming soon. Spoiler alert: I had gun lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment